Bayreuth Youth HostelBack to Projects list
- Bayreuth, Germany
- 1-5 Stories
- Bavarian Youth Hostel Association
- Wenzel+Wenzel; Engelsmann Peters; IBT PAN
It’s the new generation of youth hostels - international, innovative and integrative.
LAVA’s concept for the sports hostel located in Bayreuth, Germany is:
1. International - the design creates a feeling of the place and combines it with modern design elements
2. Innovative – a new spatial configuration of the whole sports facility, individual room modules, material use and design.
3. Integrated – inclusive ‘barrier-free’ building, grounds and facilities
LAVA chose a ‘Y’ shape for the 180-bed hostel because it cleverly generates a connective central space and interweaves the interior and exterior spaces, offering expansive views and multiple accessible openings to the sports fields and gardens.
The central atrium is a hub for offline and online entertainment, interaction and communication. A skylight provides natural daylight to a central amphitheatre that connects the different levels, whilst horizontal and diagonal sightlines direct guests to different building functions.
There are flexible room walls with contemporary modular ‘built-in furniture’ elements; and rooms, grounds and sports fields are all wheelchair accessible.
The designer age means Gen Y travellers want funky design, access to online and community, unique experiences, not just a clean bed and shower.
LAVA’s design is a yardstick for the sports hostel of the future through innovative spatial configurations, sustainability at environmental, and structural and social levels, and integrated sporting facilities.