Pyrmont Fire Station + Fire and Rescue Offices
- 147 Pyrmont Street, 2009 Pyrmont, NSW
- 1-5 Stories
Pyrmont Fire Station, built in 1907 was originally designed by the Government Architects Office under the direction of Walter Liberty Vernon.
110 years on, GroupGSA’s Architecture and Interior Design disciplines delivered a major renovation, upgrade and extension of this significant Fire Station’s facilities along with the restoration and fitout of the derelict upper floors to offices for Fire and Rescue NSW.
The juxtaposition of the aged and contemporary new building fabrics blend seamlessly – a clear delineation between the old and new.
The whole of the existing building’s structure has been strengthened. The ground floor fire station facilities have been extended and upgraded and new vertical circulation systems have been added. Major works included upgrading the building’s structural integrity to a Category 4 seismic stabilisation in order to withstand major earthquakes and other natural disasters.
The use of recycled bricks from dismantled outbuildings and new zinc cladding to the exterior of the extended facility will see the new premises age beautifully with the original building for another century to come.
Winner 2016 UDIA NSW Excellence Awards – Excellence in Urban Renewal/Adaptive Reuse